Saturday, January 23, 2010

Joel

Neighbours at the back of us Martin & Colette replied to an email I sent with helpful information regarding possible planning permission to build a store in the back garden.  They also informed us that our immediate neighbour who we are very friendly with and whom I hoped to hold a French conversation with this year, committed suicide a few months ago. He had apparently shot himself.

I read and re-read the sentence, hardly believing what I was reading. Joel, the happy neighbour...always waving and willing to help. The man who, worse for the drink (he liked his drink) taught us how to pronounce Ploermel. Joel, the man always eager to invite us into his home...the man who always went for a ride on his motorbike after cutting the grass. We have so many fond memories of him.

I feel so sad.

4 comments:

Jean said...

Poor man, that he was so unhappy. And poor you for losing a new friend and neighbour. One always wonders why and, no matter how little you knew of them, whether there was something that could have been done or said. So sad.

Ken Devine said...

Hi Jean
I think its been playing on my mind all day. I really do wish I could have communicated better.

Helen said...

This just goes to show that you never know what's going on in somebody's heart. I always tell my children never to hold back a compliment or an apology. Both can be difficult and awkward and pull on our own pride. Any act of kindness you do for anyone is always worth it. I'm positive that you lit up Joel's life in many ways. So sorry to hear this...

Ken Devine said...

Thanks Helen
Wise words.