Saturday, January 16, 2010

Thinking of France?

About thirteen years ago we'd dream of having a little place in France and would look at properties for sale  on the internet never believing it would become a reality...mainly because we've never had sufficient disposable income. But a dream is a dream without financial constraint, right?

I remember framing a painting for a customer who came into our shop many years ago. He talked of his place in Brittany and it sounded absolutely idyllic. Oh, we could certainly see ourselves there... someday.

Well, we have that place in Brittany but it has been quite a hard slog with lots of sacrifice. So if you are thinking of France as we did, this is our story...a story worth telling and a story worth reading.

6 comments:

Jean said...

Hi Ken, I'm looking forward to reading all about your place in France.
I still find myself looking at ours with absolute wonder every time we go there, I can hardly believe we really did it.

Ken Devine said...

I know just exactly how you feel Jean. It was a slim window of opportunity for us because as soon as we committed ourselves, things started to go pear-shaped in terms of income. I doubt we would have tried again had we waited another year.

Jean said...

Same here. When we signed on the dotted line we were getting 1.47€ to the £. Six months later we couldn't have done it. It would have cost us 45% more and we would not have been able to afford that.
This all adds to my theory that it was meant to be .... for some reason.

Ken Devine said...

I think you are right Jean...it was meant to be.

Helen said...

Ken, I am so glad you have started this blog. This is what people who have that very same dream love to hear. I remember long ago, our bank used to produce it's own monthly mag, and feature small business owners, and how they had achieved thier business dream. I lapped those stories up, and can now relate to most of them. I will be following with much interest....

Ken Devine said...

Hi Helen
I've been preoccupied of late so haven't been checking on this blog. Thanks for your comments and I think you are right...I loved and still love to hear of how people achieve their dreams.
Your Daily Pie kitchen is looking very, very good BTW. You should be very proud of all your hard work.